The Middle East University (MEU) Sustainability Plan is the University’s roadmap and critical step forward for building and operating a healthier, more sustainable and vibrant campus community to learn work and live. MEU aligns this plan with its central accountability obligations in contributing to the UN sustainable development goals to ensure a more sustainable future. MEU has committed to achieving sustainability and fighting climate change challenges through research, teaching and investments in college sustainability programs; by installing solar panels, encouraging low-carbon transportation, limiting waste and increasing awareness among its students, faculties and the wider community. This document demonstrates the ways and action plans MEU is considering in achieving sustainability and tackling climate change on campus.
Sustainability Actions Plan
The MEU Sustainability Plan is organized around five core targets namely: Reduce Emissions & Energy Consumption; Alternative Mode of Transportation; Food Consumption; Water Usage and Recycling; Increase Sustainability Education and Awareness. Each of these targets includes areas of focus with specific actions as follows:
Target 1: Reduce Emissions & Energy Consumption
MEU is trying to reduce its energy consumption by the maximum practicable rate by
- refurbishing older and more energy intensive buildings and constructing new structures that are in line with green building standards and prioritize campus sustainability.
- Installing more solar panels on buildings to maintain renewable energy sources and help colleges lower their reliance on fossil fuels and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Using energy efficient technologies and devices across the campus
- Obtaining LEED-certification for campus buildings to meet high standards for sustainability.
- Obtaining approval for building monitoring equipment to manage and operate buildings in a sustainable and efficient manner
- Producing annual reports for energy consumption in real-time identify any inefficiencies and make recommendations for improvement.
Target 2: Alternative Mode of Transportation
- Colleges can encourage alternative transportation modes to limit emissions by using university’s free busses. Moreover, the university imposed a tariff for using university car parking. These procedures help students commute to campus with a lower carbon footprint. Colleges can also invest in low-carbon transportation for their needs.
Target 3: Food Consumption
- Food waste represents a major challenge for campus sustainability. Colleges play a major role in tackling food waste and related issues like consumption and food shortages. For example, colleges can reduce the amount of meat they serve in cafeterias, support local and organic farming, and reduce food waste to make a more sustainable campus.
Target 4: Water Usage and Recycling
- Invest in recycling bins and compost bins can reduce trash waste and build a more sustainable campus.
- Recycle or dispose of hazardous, chemical, electronic materials and wastes in a responsible and ethical manner
- Installing on-campus water refill stations encourages reusable water bottles and limits plastic waste.
- Limit water waste in buildings by implementing grey water systems.
Target 5: Increase Sustainability Education and Awareness
- Students can research sustainability and climate change as part of their academic studies. Middle East University is increasingly offering courses in fields related to sustainability and climate change, including Media and Sustainability; Environmental Engineering; Introduction to Solar Energy; Green Buildings; Energy Economics and Management; Wind Energy; Microeconomics and Energy Legislations and Energy Efficiency; Environmental Interior Design; Environmental Graphic Design; Lighting and Acoustics in Architecture; Green Buildings and Sustainable Design; Environmental Control at both the faculty of Engineering & the Faculty of Architecture and Design.
- Encourage students to design sustainable solutions through their capstone projects that tackle the adverse impacts of climate change challenges and provide sustainable design solutions.
- Introduce unique course options related to climate change and sustainability as part of university elective courses like Renewable Energy in Our Lives Course.